Hundreds of Haligonians joining together to offer Peace Halifax as a gift to the city: free speakers, meditation, yoga and family activities
(HALIFAX) – September 8, 2017 – The countdown is on for Peace Halifax, a new festival taking place Sat. Sept. 17 at Pier 21’s Kenneth C. Rowe Hall, in honour of the United Nations International Day of Peace.
And the full day of activities – from speakers, to yoga and meditation instruction, art projects, story time for kids, face painting, a teddy bear’s picnic and more – is all being offered free, as a gift to the people of Halifax.
“Everyone wants peace. So we wanted to create a special event where everyone can experience peace – while playing, learning, listening to music and contemplating,” said Judy Johnson, coordinator of the Brahma Kumaris Meditation Centre in Halifax. “As soon as we began to share the idea of giving a gift to the city, people started coming forward to offer their help, to contribute their ideas and special talents, which makes this very special event happen with absolutely no cost to visitors,” said Johnson.
Yoga instructors, teachers, life-long meditators, artists, musicians, and authors are all contributing their time to make the event a success. Special guests are coming from Montreal and Malaysia to participate Events include:
- All day yoga courtesy of Yoga Atlantic teachers
- Zen Garden community art project organized by renowned ‘social sculptor’ Miro Davis
- A reading of The Perfect Gift by writer MaryAnne MacKinnon of Chalice Canada (11am)
- All-day meditation including participants from Waves of Compassion
- A Spirit Stick art corner run by a leader from the Adventure Earth Centre
- Mayor Mike Savage reading The Three Questions, a children’s book adaptation of the Tolstoy classic
- 4 PM GRAND FINALE –Featuring music by the You Gotta Sing Community Chorus and a new song premier by Rose Vaughan and Linda MacLean.
The event begins at 10am and runs until 5pm with the Grand Finale starting at 4. For more information visit https://halifax.brahmakumaris.ca/peaceahalifax